About the Board
About the Board
Members of the inaugural Dental Board of Australia were appointed for three years by the Australian Health Workforce Ministerial Council on 31 August 2009.
Functions of the Board
The functions of the Dental Board of Australia include:
- registering dentists, students, dental specialists, dental therapists, dental hygienists, oral health therapists and dental prosthetists
- developing standards, codes and guidelines for the dental profession
- handling notifications, complaints, investigations and disciplinary hearings
- assessing overseas trained practitioners who wish to practise in Australia
- approving accreditation standards and accredited courses of study.
State and Regional Boards and Committees
The Dental Board of Australia is supported by State and Regional Boards which represent each State and Territory. The State and Regional Boards are as follows:
- Australian Capital Territory, Tasmania and Victoria (Regional)
- Northern Territory and South Australia (Regional)
- New South Wales (State)
- Western Australia (State)
These Boards make individual registration and notification decisions, based on national policies and standards set by the Dental Board of Australia. The National Board has formally delegated the necessary powers to the State and Regional Boards.
The National Board has also appointed Committees for each State and Regional Board to deal with the registration of individuals and with notifications. These Committees have also been formally delegated powers to make certain decisions. Committees include:
- Registration and Notification Committee
- Immediate Action Committee
Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency
The Board is supported by Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency(AHPRA). AHPRA has a National office based in Melbourne and offices in every State and Territory to support local Boards and Committees.
For information about legislation governing our operations see AHPRA's Legislation & Publications.
Contact the Board
Dr John Lockwood, Chair
Dental Board of Australia
G.P.O. Box 9958
Melbourne VIC 3001
You can use the online enquiry form to contact the board.
Read Communiqués from the Board.